These tea cakes are soft and sweet with a hint of vanilla flavour and a bit of nutmeg. Tea cakes are a lot like soft cookies. Photo source: Pixabay.com
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
Keyword: christmas cookies, tea cakes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream together eggs, vanilla, shortening, sugar, baking powder. Stir in the flour and nutmeg. Dough will be stiff.
- Shape in preferred sized balls and flatten with the bottom of a glass. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8 minutes. If you brown them, you’ve overbaked them.
- Note: These may also be rolled out and cut with cookie cuters.
Click the link to download PDF version of this recipe.