Ochro Rice is a versatile one pot meal with a distinct flavour, usually from the type of meat used, such as smoked ham, pigtail, etc.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Course: Rice Dishes
- 12 ochros sliced
- 2 – 3 medium-sized tomatoes. chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 sprigs chive chopped
- 2 sprigs celery chopped
- 1 sprig thyme chopped
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Saltfish pigtail or smoked bones (meat is optional)
- 2 cups rice
- 2 sprig chive
- 1 sprig celery
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste optional
- If you are using saltfish boil and remove the bones before adding it to the pot. If you are using pig tail or smoked bone boil pressure cook it until it is tender before adding to the pot.
- Saute the onion and garlic then add the tomatoes and ochros. Add the vegetables, the seasonings, meat, water and coconut milk. Cover the pot and allow to simmer. Cook over a medium flame.
- Add the rice. Stir the rice to make sure it is well mixed in with the vegetables and the liquid.
- Remove from flame when all of the liquid is absorb and rice is tender. Serve.
Click the link to download PDF of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved