This is one healthy multigrain loaf. It has a wonderful crumb and is quite tastey.
- 2 envelops yeast 11g x 2
- 2 cups warm water
- 8 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups wholewheat flour
- 2 cups multigrain mixture
- In the deep bowl add yeast, sugar and 1 cup water. Mix.
- Set aside until foamy.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Add prepared yeast, multigrain mix, 3/4 of the flour softened butter and remaining warm water. Mix together.
- Mix with the dough hook, and add the remaining flour, a little at a time.
- Work the machine until a dough forms and until the dough comes away from the sides
- of the bowl and forms a ball around the hook.
- Remove and knead on a floured surface for about 3 minutes.
- Shape into a smooth ball.
- Roll the ball of dough lightly in an oiled bowl. Cover with a damp kitchen towel
- and leave to rise in a warm, draft free place until the dough is double its size or until an impression of a finger pressed into it remains.
- This could take 1-2 hours, or a bit longer in a cooler place. Punch down the dough and knead again and leave to rise for another 5 minutes before shaping. Shape and place the dough in a well-greased baking pan (12″ x 6″ x 3″). Cover and leave to rise .
- Carefully sprinkle oats and sesame seed on the loaf. (Other seeds can be fennel, caraway, poppy, and sunflower). Glaze the loaf for a shiny or matte finish… Brush the loaf with egg wash (see note 2 above) just before baking and 10 minutes before the loaf is done baking.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F or 95 degrees C. Bake at an increased temperature, 375 degree F until golden brown or when stuck with a knife or skewer comes out clean.
Please note the following:…
1. My multigrain mixture comprises of the following: 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup sesame seed, 1/2 cup flax meal and 1/2 cup wheat germ. You can vary you grains accordingly.
2. Egg wash. Mix 1 egg yolk with 1 tbsp water and pinch of salt. Whisk with fork.
3. Using a machine to mix and knead the dough makes it light and can help you save time and energy. Use the dough hook to mix.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved