Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Main Dish
- four green or half ripe plantains, peeled and sliced ½ inch thick *
- 2 tbsp chadon beni, chopped
- 1 tsp fine leaf thyme
- 1½ garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup crisp turkey bacon
- oil for frying
- * The choice of plantains depends on your taste. Choose wisely.
- Peel plantains and cut into ¼ ” – ½ ” rounds.
- Fry plantains in oil until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry turkey bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Mash the seasonings then add the fried bacon. Mash until smooth.
- Add the plantain a little at a time and mash until smooth.
- Add spoonfuls of olive oil as you progress until all is used up.
- Note: In my case I had to mash separately in two batches.
- Mash until smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
- Form into balls or whatever form desired before serving.
Alternatively you can use a food processor instead of the traditional mortar and pestle.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved