Mofongo is a Hispanic dish made traditionally with plantain, pork rinds, and losts of seasoning. It might remind you of Tom Tom or Pound plantain, the only difference was that it has meat in it.
ourse: Main Dish
- four green or half ripe plantains peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick *
- 2 tbsp chadon beni chopped
- 1 tsp fine leaf thyme
- 1 1/2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup crisp turkey bacon
- oil for frying
- * The choice of plantains depends on your taste. Choose wisely.
- Peel plantains and cut into 1/4 ” – 1/2 ” rounds.
- Fry plantains in oil until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry turkey bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Mash the seasonings then add the fried bacon. Mash until smooth.
- Add the plantain a little at a time and mash until smooth.
- Add spoonfuls of olive oil as you progress until all is used up.
- Note: In my case I had to mash separately in two batches.
- Mash until smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
- Form into balls or whatever form desired before serving.
Alternatively you can use a food processor instead of the traditional mortar and pestle.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved