- four green or half ripe plantains peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick *
- 2 tbsp chadon beni chopped
- 1 tsp fine leaf thyme
- 1 1/2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup crisp turkey bacon
- oil for frying
- * The choice of plantains depends on your taste. Choose wisely.
- Peel plantains and cut into 1/4 ” – 1/2 ” rounds.
- Fry plantains in oil until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry turkey bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Mash the seasonings then add the fried bacon. Mash until smooth.
- Add the plantain a little at a time and mash until smooth.
- Add spoonfuls of olive oil as you progress until all is used up.
- Note: In my case I had to mash separately in two batches.
- Mash until smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
- Form into balls or whatever form desired before serving.
Alternatively you can use a food processor instead of the traditional mortar and pestle.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved