Looking for a good dessert to have with your coffee hour. This is a cake that deserves to be served as a dessert for coffee lovers, or even as a snack.
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: 1 9" round cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ c. pastry flour (or ½ cup flour- 1 tbsp. flour + 1 tbsp. cornstarch, sifted)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. hot water
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mocha Cream filling (See link below)
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Dissolve the coffee in the hot water.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Whip the egg yolks. Then add the lemon juice, lemon rind, and sugar. Beat until smooth. Add the coffee to the egg yolks.
- Then fold in the sifted flour to the beaten coffee-egg yolks. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into batter. Do not over mix.
- Pour into 2-9" wax paper lined greased and floured round cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350 degree Farenheit or 180 degrees Celcius oven for 20 minutes.
- (For thinner layers of cake like the one I did, you can place in 3-9" wax paper lined greased and floured round cake pans. However you will have to bake the cake for 15 minutes. If you want more layers in your cake it would be best to double the recipe.)
- When cake is done baking, transfer to a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans; cool completely. Fill and frost the cake. Decorate with chocolate.
Calories: 393 kcal Fat: 20.2 g Carbohydrates: 44.15 g Sugar: 37.6 g Sodium: 397.36 mg Protein: 6.4 g Cholesterol: 262.74 mg
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved