Mediterranean Brunch Braid
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Serves: Serves 8
- ¼ cup Light Olive Oil
- 1½ cups chopped green onions (about 24 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bag fresh chopped spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup mozzerella cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (1 oz)
- 2 tablespoons Pine Nuts, toasted*
- 13.8 oz pizza crust
- 1½ cups shredded Italian five-cheese blend (6 oz)
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil sprigs, if desired
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray large cookie sheet with No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender. Stir in spinach and chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; set aside.
- In small bowl, mix mozzarella cheese, feta cheese and pine nuts; set aside.
- Roll pizza crust dough on cookie sheet. Starting at center, press out dough into 15x10-inch rectangle. Brush 1 tablespoon oil over dough. Sprinkle ½ cup of the Italian cheese in 5-inch-wide strip lengthwise down center of dough. Spoon spinach mixture over cheese. Spread mozzarella mixture over spinach. Layer tomato slices, overlapping, on mozzarella mixture. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over tomatoes. Sprinkle with ½ cup Italian cheese.
- Using kitchen scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on each long side of rectangle to within ½ inch of filling. Fold strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side. Turn ends under; press to seal. Brush remaining 1 tablespoon oil over top of braid.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup Italian cheese over top of braid. Bake about 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet to cutting board; cut crosswise into slices. Garnish with basil sprigs.
To toast pine nuts, cook in a heavy skillet over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until nuts begin to brown, then stirring constantly until light brown. Remove from skillet to plate to cool.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved