This Masala caraili is a spicy dish. Be prepared for the mild bitter taste as well.
Cuisine: East Indian
- 3 med. caraili chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 pimento peppers sliced
- 14 methi seeds fenugreek
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. Chief brand duck/ goat curry powder
- 4 tbsp. Amchar Masala
- 1 tbsp. Geera powder cumin
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Wash and cut up the caraili.
- Chop the garlic, pimento, and onion. Set aside.
- Boil the Caraili for 15 minutes then drain.
- Note: boiling of the methods used to get some of the bitterness out. Alternatively you can freeze the Caraili before cooking it. Somehow the coldness diminishes the bitterness of the Caraili.
- Heat the oil and saute the methi seeds for 1 minute.
- Then add the garlic and pimento.
- Add the curry powder and geera. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes or until it achieves a brownish colour.
- Add the caraili and stir and let coat evenly with the curry mixture.
- Then add the onion and remaining garlic.
- Add salt, pepper and masala powder. Stir
- Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add last pimento pepper. stir.
- Note: To prevent burning add a little water.
- Let cook for 5 more minutes. then remove from heat. Serve hot.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved