This mango sunshine cake is very light and airy, with a touch of mango sauce on it.
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
Cuisine: Caribbean, Fusion
- 8 eggs whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. almond essence
- 1/2 tsp. coconut essence
- Mango Sauce
- 1 large peeled pitted, and chopped mango, We used Julie Mango
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until very light in colour. Note: Every now and then you would have to use a spatula to lift the sugar form the sides and bottom as you beat. Of course you have to stop the mixer first.
- Sift the flour and set aside.
- Mix the almond essence and coconut essence with the lemon juice.
- Mix egg whites, cream of tartar and salt together. Beat until very stiff.
- Add the flour a little at a time while you beat the egg yolks.
- Alternate the flour with the lemon juice until all is used up. Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan or tube pan. Bake in a moderate oven for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- For Mango Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved