Lentil Peas Pastelle
Servings: 22 pastelles
- Filling for Pastelle
- 3 – 4 tbsp green seasoning See note below
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 3 bundles chadon beni about 20 leaves
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 pimento peppers
- 1 big leaf thyme
- 1/2 lb dry lentil peas
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp roucou
- Salt to taste
- Fig banana leaves to wrap the pastelles.
- Cornmeal dough: See note below.
- Boil the lentil peas until it looks soft enough to mash (approximately 30 mins) . Don’t let it get too soggy. Drain the water and crush it using the back of a pot spoon. Season with a 3 -4 tablespoon of green seasoning (the amount depends on your taste).
- Blend the garlic, onion, chadon beni, celery, pimento peppers and thyme in 1/4 cup of water.
- Add the blended seasoning to cooked lentil peas.
- Add the cayenne pepper, paprika and black pepper .
- Saute the onion in 3 tbsp oil.
- Add the seasoned lentil peas. Then add the roucou. Mix well.
- Set aside and prepare the fig leaves and the cornmeal.
- Click here to learn how to make the cornmeal dough for the pastelle and singe the banana leaves.
- Separate into small balls. Pour a little oil in a saucer to be used before pressing each cornmeal ball.
- Dip the ball into a little oil and press between two banana leaves on a pastelle press.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the lentil paste in the center of the flatten dough ball.
- Fold the fig (banana) leaf place the folds face down. Steam in batches for for 35-40 minutes.
seasoning - https://www.simplytrinicooking.com/green-seasoning/ https://www.simplytrinicooking.com/trinidad-cornmeal-pastelle/
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved