- 1/2 lb. approximately 1 1/8 cups lentil peas
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 pimento
- 1 small onion grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 3 cups water
- 3 sprig chive
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 3 sprig chadon beni
- 1 sprig fine leaf thyme
- 1 tsp. tomato paste optional
- Salt to taste
- Flour seasoned with favorite herbs
- Oil for frying
- Cook the lentil peas in water until soft and most of the water is absorbed. If there is still some excess water in the peas, strain the excess water and set aside.
- Chop the chive, celery, thyme, chadon beni, and pimento finely. Grate the onion and garlic. Add the seasonings and the tomato paste to the cooked lentil peas. Mix well while you mash the lentil peas.
- Fold in the egg. Add the bread crumbs, a little at a time, and mix. Mix until the lentil peas is thick. The flour is used to help bind the peas into small soft balls. There should still be a bit of moisture to the feel, not dry.
- Roll into small balls. Roll the lentil balls in seasoned flour and flatten into patties for frying. Fry until golden brown. Lentil patties may be served as a side dish or as a burger.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved