- 8 ozs. Lentils soaked overnight in 4 cups water
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes or 4 medium sized, skinned and sliced
- 1 carrot coarsely grated
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 sweet peppers finely chopped
- 1-1½ cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 hot pepper finely chopped (optional)
- 1 blade chive finely chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme finely chopped
- ½ cup grated cheese optional
- 2 apples peeled and grated
- Cook lentils in some water until soft and water is absorbed. Mash with a fork and beat until smooth.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrot, sweet peppers, apples, chive and thyme until soft. Add mixture to lentil together with salt, pepper and bread crumbs.
- Bind together with egg. (If you wish you can add about ¼ cup of cheese to the mixure). Adjust salt to taste.
- Press the final mixture in a greased loaf tin. Sprinkle the remainder of the grated cheese on the top.
- Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved