Lemon Sponge Cake
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: 2 9" round cakes
- 1 cup shortening
- 2¼ cups white sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp. lemon peel, grated
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- Lemon-Vanilla Frosting:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1½ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and 1½ cups sugar with an electric mixer.
- Stir in vanilla, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to batter, blending until smooth.
- In a clean, medium bowl, beat egg whites until frothy,
- gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degree F for about 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 5 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and cool.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved