Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Desserts
Cuisine: East Indian
Serves: Serves 15
- 1 lb. flour
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- ½ cup water to knead flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Sift the flour, add the cinnamon powder and ginger powder, and cut in the butter. Add the water gradually and mix to form a firm, but hard enough dough.
- Cut the dough evenly. And roll into balls. Dust the surface with a little flour and roll out each. Roll until the dough is about ¼" thick. Cut the rolled dough into strips (about 3" long strips).
- Drop the first batch of strips in hot oil. Stir to ensure strips are covered with oil. Fry first on a low flame until crispy. Then raise the fire. Fry until golden brown and remove and place on napkins or brown paper.
- Drop the grated ginger in ½ cup of boiled water. Add the sugar (about 1 cup of sugar). Stir ocassionally until a thick syrup is made. Pour syrup over kurma and mix quickly to glaze the kurma.
- Set aside the kurma to cool before serving.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved