How to Make Tofu
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- 10 cups or 2.2 quarts plain soya milk
- juice from 4 lemons.
- Place the soy milk in a large pot and heat over medium fire.
- Then add the lemon juice, a bit at a time, until you see the milk curdle and the liquid gets clear. This is the same if you are using apple cider vinegar. Always add the coagulant a little at a time.
- Keep stirring while you add the lemon juice.
- You may add some more lemon juice if you still see some milk. This will help induce coagulation.
- Observe the milk curdles forming and the clearness of the water as it separates.
- The milk is boiled for about 5 minutes and cooled down to about 70 to 80° Celsius.
- This is the mold I will pour the curdles into.
- First, place the muslin cloth in the mold. Spread out to hold the curdles.
- Strain most of the liquid from the curdle.
- The curdle is strained.
- Pour the curdles slowly into the prepared mold.
- Fold the cloth and press the curdle together within the mold.
- Place the lid on top.
- A few small weights can be placed on the lid of the container while it sits for about 45 minutes.
- It helps squeeze out the extra liquid from the tofu and gives it a firm texture.
It is best to eat your homemade tofu on the same day or after. If you want extra texture, you can place the tofu in water and freeze it. Thaw it before using. Wasn’t that easy.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved