Servings: 1 9" x 10" dish
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 small onion finely grated
- 2 green pimento pepper finely chopped
- 1 lb. grated cheese
- 1/2 cup milk skim
- 1 egg
- 6 leaves dasheen bush head
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. butter unsalted
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 tsp. parsley finely chopped
- 1 sprig chive finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice, ensure that it is still somewhat grainy. Grate the cheese.
- Cut off the stalk and tips of the dasheen bush. Retain the leaves and remove the tips of the dasheen bush leaves. Gather all together and slice thinly, as shown above.
- In a deep mixing bowl, add the cooked rice, dasheen leaves, herbs, salt, pimento, onion, egg, butter, milk and 3/4 of the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and bake at 300° F for 40 min or until the top of the pie is golden brown.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved