Green Fig Souse
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Appetizers
Serves: serves 6
- 1 hand fig (about 12 bananas)
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 med onion
- ½ cup lime juice
- 16 leaves chadon beni, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp salt or to taste
- Wash, mark fig and boil in water with 1 tbsp. oil.
- Note: The oil is added to prevent the fig staining the pot. Chop and blend the garlic, pepper and chadon beni in ½ cup water and 1 tbsp. salt.
- Test the fig to see if it is cooked by sticking it with an ice pick or knife. Allow to cool under running water then peel and cut up in a large bowl.
- Wash and peel the cucumber then slice. Slice the onion. hen add the lime juice.
- Soak in 5 cups water. Add 6 tbsp. of the chadon beni mixture, 2 tbsp of salt and stir. Soak for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature. Note 1: This souse you can refrigerate since it is plant based and doesn’t have gelatin. Note 2: Nutrition facts does not include salt. This ingredient can be varied.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved