- 1 hand fig about 12 bananas
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 med onion
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 16 leaves chadon beni chopped
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp salt or to taste
- Wash, mark fig and boil in water with 1 tbsp. oil.
- Note: The oil is added to prevent the fig staining the pot. Chop and blend the garlic, pepper and chadon beni in 1/2 cup water and 1 tbsp. salt.
- Test the fig to see if it is cooked by sticking it with an ice pick or knife. Allow to cool under running water then peel and cut up in a large bowl.
- Wash and peel the cucumber then slice. Slice the onion. hen add the lime juice.
- Soak in 5 cups water. Add 6 tbsp. of the chadon beni mixture, 2 tbsp of salt and stir. Soak for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature. Note 1: This souse you can refrigerate since it is plant based and doesn’t have gelatin. Note 2: Nutrition facts does not include salt. This ingredient can be varied.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved