Green Fig (Banana) And Saltfish
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Seafood
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 hand of green fig (bananas)
- 1½ lb saltfish, boned
- 3 pimento peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated ( large side of grater)
- 3 med. tomatoes, chopped
- ½ large sweet pepper
- ½ tbsp. oil
- ½ cup water
- Mark the green fig (banana) skin with a knife lengthwise. Place in a pot of water add ½ tbsp of oil and a pinch of salt. Boil until the skin changes colour and the bananas are tender. Peel the bananas before serving.
- Boil the saltfish for about twenty minutes. Clean and break into smaller pieces. Squeeze out excess salt from the saltfish. In an iron pot, saute the onion and garlic over a medium flame until translucent.
- Add the pimento peppers, sweet pepper, grated carrot and tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes Add the saltfish and mix thoroughly.
- Add about ½ cup water and let simmer for 1 minute. Serve over the peeled green fig (bananas).
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved