Green Fig (Banana) And Saltfish
- 1 hand of green fig bananas
- 1 1/2 lb saltfish boned
- 3 pimento peppers chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 carrot grated ( large side of grater)
- 3 med. tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 large sweet pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Mark the green fig (banana) skin with a knife lengthwise. Place in a pot of water add 1/2 tbsp of oil and a pinch of salt. Boil until the skin changes colour and the bananas are tender. Peel the bananas before serving.
- Boil the saltfish for about twenty minutes. Clean and break into smaller pieces. Squeeze out excess salt from the saltfish. In an iron pot, saute the onion and garlic over a medium flame until translucent.
- Add the pimento peppers, sweet pepper, grated carrot and tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes Add the saltfish and mix thoroughly.
- Add about 1/2 cup water and let simmer for 1 minute. Serve over the peeled green fig (bananas).
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved