Green Fig (banana) and Saltfish Pie
- 11 green fig banana, boiled and crushed
- 1 1/4 cups flaked saltfish
- 4 med tomatoes
- 1 med onion
- 2 pimento peppers
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. allspice powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp parsley
- 3/4 cup cooking cream
- 1 egg beaten
- In a medium-sized pot, cook the green fig. Then remove the skin.
- Note: Add a few drops of oil to the water to prevent the pot from getting sticky and hard to clean.
- Dice the green fig and set aside.
- Cook the saltfish and remove the fish bones, if there are any.
- Break the saltfish into small pieces.
- Saute the onion, pimento, and garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the saltfish and tomato paste.
- Cook for another 3 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside.
- To the diced green fig, add paprika, allspice powder, garlic powder, onion powder, butter and parsley. Mix well.
- In a bowl mix the two cheeses.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, the cooking cream and the beaten egg. Mix well.
- Place half of the green fig mixture in a greased baking dish. Top with the stewed saltfish.
- Pour the rest of the greenfig mixture over the stewed saltfish.
- Finally spread the rest of the grated cheese over the pie.
- Place in a 350 degrees F oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the pie is golden on the top.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved