These gingerbread cookies is perfect for Christmas and any special ocassion.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-6 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- approximately 3 tbsp water and about 1 tsp. unsweetened ginger tea powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Candy and sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. Prepare the baking trays in advance. Line them with parchment paper or use non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift the flour in a large bowl. Add the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients well. Next, cut the butter into small chunks. Then, rub it into the flour until mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Mix in the sugar. Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Mix in the honey and vanilla. Add it to the flour. Mix together and form into a smooth dough.
- Dust a surface and a rolling pin with a little flour. Roll out the dough with the rolling pin. Roll out until 1/2″ thick. Next, cut into desired shapes. The scraps can be again squeezed together into a ball and rolled out again and cut to make more shapes. Here are the shapes I used to cut my cookies.
- Place the shapes onto well lined trays. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove after a few minutes and allow to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
I wanted to make an icing that also had a bit of a ginger taste. So I first heated the water and added the unsweetened ginger tea powder to water. Mix well to dissolve. Then cool a bit before use. You want the water warm; not too hot.
When you are making your icing add 1 tbsp of ginger water at a time to the icing sugar. Add the vanilla. Keep adding 1 tbsp of warm ginger water until you get the desired thickness for your icing. Then add the icing to the cookies. Sprinkle and decorate as you desire. I did not want all the cookies glazed. Not everyone likes icing. However, I noticed these cookies are mildly sweet and the icing added an extra sweet flavour.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved