Fry Bake and Saltfish
Servings: 4 - 5
- SALT FISH:
- ½ - 3/4 lb. Salt fish or 1 cup dried saltfish, boneless, skinless
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- ¾ lb. tomatoes chopped
- ½ tsp. chive chopped
- ½ tsp. thyme chopped (Spanish or fine leaf)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil to fry the saltfish
- 1 small hot pepper finely chopped (optional)
- 3½ cups flour
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 4-5 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Oil for frying bake
- For Saltfish
- Boil the salt fish for about 10 minutes to remove some of the salt.
- Remove skin and bones; wash and squeeze the saltfish and break into small pieces.
- Cook the onions, garlic, tomatoes, chive and thyme in oil until slightly brown.
- Add the flaked salt fish and hot pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- For Bake
- Add the water all at once, if dough is still dry when mixed, add enough water to make smooth dough. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rest for ½ hour
- Divide dough into small balls (makes about 12 balls). Roll ball of dough out on a floured board to 1/4 inch thick in a round shape.
- Fry in hot oil (do not deep fry), turn once and drain on kitchen paper. Serve cool.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved