Fry Bake and Saltfish
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Seafood
Serves: 4 - 5
- SALT FISH:
- ½ - ¾ lb. Salt fish (or 1 cup dried saltfish, boneless, skinless)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- ¾ lb. tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp. chive, chopped
- ½ tsp. thyme, chopped (Spanish or fine leaf)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil (to fry the saltfish)
- 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 3½ cups flour
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 4-5 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Oil for frying (bake)
- For Saltfish
- Boil the salt fish for about 10 minutes to remove some of the salt.
- Remove skin and bones; wash and squeeze the saltfish and break into small pieces.
- Cook the onions, garlic, tomatoes, chive and thyme in oil until slightly brown.
- Add the flaked salt fish and hot pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- For Bake
- Add the water all at once, if dough is still dry when mixed, add enough water to make smooth dough. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rest for ½ hour
- Divide dough into small balls (makes about 12 balls). Roll ball of dough out on a floured board to ¼ inch thick in a round shape.
- Fry in hot oil (do not deep fry), turn once and drain on kitchen paper. Serve cool.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved