From recipes scribbled on a copybook page or passed on by word of mouth, to possibly closely guarded secret ingredients or techniques, making homemade wines using our local fruits, plants, barks and flowers is a treasured pastime.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 25 five finger star fruit, carambola
- 1 1/2 pk yeast 16.5 g
- 12 lbs sugar granulated
- 2 1/4 gal of water i.e. 2 gallons and 4 cups
- 1/2 lb raisins
- Wash and slice the five finger. Add the five finger to water (that was boiled and cooled) in a large bucket. Add the yeast and 6 pounds of sugar and stir. Cover the container and leave in a cool dry place for 21 days.
- Pour out and sweeten the wine with the remaining 6 pounds of sugar. Strain using a clean cloth Pour out in sterilized bottles add raisins and leave for ten days.
- Note: Adding the raisins and leaving for the ten day period helps make the wine clearer. DO NOT COVER THE BOTTLES TIGHTLY.
- After the ten day period strain the wine again. Bottle the wine and store in a cool dry place.
- Serve chilled or with ice.
5 oz per serving.
Click the link to download PDF of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved