Fish in White Sauce with Vegetables
- 3/4 cups baby carrots sliced
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 – 1 1/4 cup milk can use evaporated milk, low fat milk or almond milk
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 small onion
- 2 pimento peppers chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 white fish fillet seasoned
- Seasoning for fish
- 2 tbsp. celery leaves
- 3 sprig chive
- 3 tsp. parsley
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. fine leaf thyme
- 1 tsp big leaf thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- Slice the baby carrots into four long pieces.
- Chop the broccoli.
- In a deep pot, place the coconut oil, carrot and broccoli. Stir to coat the vegetables.
- Cover and leave to steam over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn off and leave covered. The heat will continue cooking the vegetables, but the vegetables will not be overcooked.
- While the vegetables steam, chop the fish fillets. Season with the ingredients.
- Note: You can also season the fish before you start cooking so the fish can marinate in the seasoning.
- Heat oil in a deep pot.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and pimento.
- Allow to simmer until the onion is translucent.
- Push aside and add the flour. Quickly mix the oil and flour together and then the rest of the ingredients.
- Then pour in the milk.
- Add the fish and leave to simmer. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat when the fish is cooked through.
- The liquid will thicken also.
- When the fish is cooked, quickly remove fish and sauce and transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the steamed vegetables over the fish.
- Lightly toss together. Serve as a main dish or as a side.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved