Fish cakes are a great addition to any meal. They can be perfect with chips or with any main dish around lunch time.
- 1 lb potatoes boiled, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 lb fish tuna, salmon, marlin, or any firm fish, seasoned (no salt
- 1 lime for washing fish
- 2 tbsp. onions diced
- 3/4 cup carrots shredded
- 2 tbsp. green seasoning
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. celery
- 2 tbsp. chive
- 1 tbsp pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- Wash, and season fish with green seasoning and paprika (any herbs you like really) no salt. Allow to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Steam fish for about 15 minutes. (Note: If you don't have a steamer, you could use instead a rice strainer and a pot cover placed over a pot of boiling water.)
- Boil, peel and crush potatoes. Flake fish when cool and add to potatoes. Add all other ingredients (carrots, chive, celery, onion, mustard, salt to taste) and mix well.
- Form into egg-shaped balls.
- Mix 1/2 cup cornmeal and 1/2 cup white flour seasoned with pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Mix 3/4 cup milk seasoned with 1 tsp. black pepper. Dip fish cakes in batter then in coating, coat well. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Serve cool with your favourite sauce.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved