Fish cakes are a great addition to any meal. They can be perfect with chips or with any main dish around lunch time.
Recipe type: Seafood
- 1 lb potatoes, boiled, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 lb fish (tuna, salmon, marlin, or any firm fish, seasoned (no salt)
- 1 lime (for washing fish)
- 2 tbsp. onions, diced
- ¾ cup carrots, shredded
- 2 tbsp. green seasoning
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. celery
- 2 tbsp. chive
- 1 tbsp pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup white flour
- ¾ cup milk
- Wash, and season fish with green seasoning and paprika (any herbs you like really) no salt. Allow to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Steam fish for about 15 minutes. (Note: If you don't have a steamer, you could use instead a rice strainer and a pot cover placed over a pot of boiling water.)
- Boil, peel and crush potatoes. Flake fish when cool and add to potatoes. Add all other ingredients (carrots, chive, celery, onion, mustard, salt to taste) and mix well.
- Form into egg-shaped balls.
- Mix ½ cup cornmeal and ½ cup white flour seasoned with pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Mix ¾ cup milk seasoned with 1 tsp. black pepper. Dip fish cakes in batter then in coating, coat well. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Serve cool with your favourite sauce.
Calories: 294 kcal Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 36.9 g Sodium: 637 mg Protein: 21.9 g
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved