Fish and Chips (Trini Style)
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 2 fish fillets (white fish)
- 2 tsp. parsley
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. green seasoning
- 2 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder optional
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- Seasonings to taste
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cut into desired strips, wash 3 times under running water until water gets clear.
- Place ice cubes in water and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Remove from fridge. Pat dry and fry over a low fire until golden brown.
- While the fries are slowly frying time to prepare the fish. Wash the fish with lime and water. Drain. Season with the green seasoning, parsley, paprika, fine leaf thyme, black pepper and salt. You can use the onion and garlic powders if you like. Marinate for 10 minutes
- Mix the corn starch and cassava flour and season to taste. Then roll the fish in the mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes
- While you're at it you can check your fries to see if it is golden brown. When the fries are done add salt to taste and toss.
- In another pot fry the fish on both sides over a low fire until golden brown
- Then place in a dish and bake in a preheated oven 300 degrees F for 10 minutes. Serve with the fries. Add your favourite condiments and enjoy.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved