- 2 medium eggplants
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8 medium tomatoes sliced
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 medium sweet peppers chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 sprigs chive chopped
- 2 pimento peppers
- 3 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice one eggplant. Discard the two ends. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt, and let stand for about 10 minutes in a colander placed in the sink so that the eggplants bitter liquid drains away. Peel and chop, the other eggplant.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, garlic, pimento pepper and sweet pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and the celery, fine leaf thyme and chive.
- Add the tomato paste. Mix together.
- Add the sweet pepper grated carrot and the chopped eggplant.
- Leave to cook for about a few minutes until the eggplant is brown. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place a layer of the eggplant slices in 23x30cm baking dish.
- Place half of the sauteed tomatoes and eggplant over the slices of eggplant.
- Then layer with half the amount of grated cheese.
- Repeat layers until finished.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved