This eggplant casserole is simple with just a few ingredients. This makes a terrific side dish or a main dish if you are one who enjoys eggplant.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- 2 medium eggplants
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8 medium tomatoes sliced
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 medium sweet peppers chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 sprigs chive chopped
- 2 pimento peppers
- 3 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice one eggplant. Discard the two ends. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt, and let stand for about 10 minutes in a colander placed in the sink so that the eggplants bitter liquid drains away. Peel and chop, the other eggplant.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, garlic, pimento pepper and sweet pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and the celery, fine leaf thyme and chive.
- Add the tomato paste. Mix together.
- Add the sweet pepper grated carrot and the chopped eggplant.
- Leave to cook for about a few minutes until the eggplant is brown. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place a layer of the eggplant slices in 23x30cm baking dish.
- Place half of the sauteed tomatoes and eggplant over the slices of eggplant.
- Then layer with half the amount of grated cheese.
- Repeat layers until finished.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved