Eggless Black Cake
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: makes 1lb
- 1 lb flour
- 1 lb granulated sugar
- ¾ lb butter
- ¼ lb shortening - Cookeen or Bake N' Fry all vegetable shortening
- 1 bt grape wine or grape juice
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 lb currants
- ½ lb prunes
- ½ lb mix peel
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. spice
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. essence
- 2 tsp. lemon or lime
- Browning (amount to your preference)
- Place raisins, currrants, prunes, and mixed peel in a bowl with the grape wine or grape juice to soak over night or for 2 days.
- Cream the butter, cookeen and sugar until creamy. Add milk (a little at a time) and cream until milk is dissolved. (Note: the milk will help dissolve the sugar)
- Add spice, nutmeg, essence, lemon or lime. Add flour (a little at a time). Add the browning. Mix in well. Add fruits and stir.
- Place in a greased and floured baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for one hour to an hour and a half. Note: You can pour cherry brandy or pure rum over the cake immediately after it is removed from the oven.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved