Dumpling and Saltfish
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Seafood/ Vegetarian
- SALT FISH:
- ½ lb. Salt fish
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp. chive, chopped
- ½ tsp. thyme, chopped (Spanish or fine leaf)
- 2 pimento pepper
- 3 leaves chadon beni, chopped
- 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 leaves chadon beni
- 1 sprig chive
- ¾ cup water, or coconut milk
- 2 litres water (for boiling dumpling)
- Mix the flour, herbs salt, and add the water or coconut milk, a little at a time, to makel a soft dough. Make little balls 2 - 3 inches in diameter. Then flatten out and add to boiling water. When the dumpling floats to the top it is done.
- Boil the saltfish. Wash and clean the saltfish and break it up into smaller pieces. The saltfish is sometimes very salty so you may need to wash the saltfish about three times to remove the extra salt.
- Cut up the tomatoes and seasoning. Saute the garlic and onion. Then add the pimento pepper. Add the tomatoes and cook for about one minute. Then add the saltfish and stir. Add a little water to prevent sticking. Simmer for about more two minutes.
- Serve over the dumpling.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved