This is a sweet donut that is filled with a jam or jelly.
Servings: 4 dozen
Keyword: donut, dounut, paczki, paczki recipe, polish donut, polish dounut, polish tradtional recipe
- 4½ teaspoon dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 cups warm milk
- 3 cups flour sifted
- 2 cups warm water
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tablespoon shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 9 cups flour sifted
- Note: all ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup of warm water. Warm the milk and add to the yeast and water. Add 3 cups of flour and let rise for about ½ hour to create a sponge.
- Mix together the 2 cups of warm water, butter, shortening, sugar, whiskey.
- Mix the sponge and the previous mixture with 6 eggs, a pinch of salt and 9 cups of flour. Mix until you get a really good textured dough. Set aside and let it rise until double in size.
- Cut the dough into 2 ounce pieces and form balls. Place the balls on a well oiled flat pan, let them rise for about ½ hour to about ¾ hour.
- Fry the dough balls in 350 degree oil until well browned on both sides then put them on a brown paper bag to drain.
- Allow to cool, then fill using a pastry bag with a tip that has a whole about the size of a pencil. Fill with your favourite jam or jelly.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.