Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Cuisine: East Indian
- 1 cup split peas
- 1 small onion
- 1 pimento
- 4 leaves chadon beni
- ½ tsp. geera (cumin)
- ½ tsp. saffron (hardi) powder
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Soak the split peas overnight. Chop the onion, pimento, and chadon beni.
- Pour the peas, onion, pimento, 2 cloves garlic, chadon beni and saffron powder in a pressure cooker with the water for about 15 minutes.
- When done, add salt and geera; swizzle well to a pureed consistency.
- Chongkay the dhal by frying the other two cloves of garlic in a kalchul and when brown add to the dhal. (Caution: this process makes a loud frying sound when the hot oil and garlic is added. To prevent burns, when the oil is added, cover the pot with the pot cover at once. ).
- Serve hot.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved