Dhal Puri Roti
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Breads
Cuisine: East Indian
Serves: Serves 8
- 1 cup split peas
- ½ tsp. saffron powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. geera powder (cumin)
- 1 tbsp. ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ cup oil
- Water for kneading
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Knead flour to a soft dough. Rub oil over the dough. Make dough into 6 or 8 balls (loyas) according to the size of the tawah. Leave to rest.
- Boil the split peas with saffron, salt and a clove of garlic and drain. Grind the split peas with a small hot pepper and 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add geera, salt to taste. Mix well and set aside. Open the each ball of dough and place in the centre, 2-3 tbsp. of split peas as the filling. Pull the sides over and close up. Turn over and leave to rest.
- Roll out the dough very thinly. Heat tawah on a medium heat. Grease the tawah and place the rolled out roti.
- Grease the top, cook on one side, turn over, and cook on the other side. Be sure to press the edges of the roti when the dhal puri is cooked and swells, fold and place in a bowl to cool.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved