- 2 1/2 lbs dasheen taro
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 pimento peppers chopped finely
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg optional
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- Salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Place the dasheen in a pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Cook the dasheen until soft.
- NOTE: To test for doneness just stick the dasheen using a knife or ice pick. If it goes through then it is cooked.
- When the dasheen is boiled. Drain and crush with a strong fork or in a food processor.
- In a deep bowl mix the crushed dasheen, parsley, butter, pimento peppers, nutmeg, celery, salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese. Mix well.
- NOTE: Reserve 1/2 cup of cheese for the topping.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg and milk. Add to the dasheen and mix well.
- Pour in a greased dish and sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved