Custard Tarts (Don Tot)
- TART PASTRY:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup lard
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour; sifted
- 2 extra large eggs; whole
- 3 extra large egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- TO MAKE PASTRY:
- Cream butter with lard. Add egg and sugar. Beat well. Add flour, 1 cup at a time. The dough will be mealy. Work quickly with your hands to gather dough into a ball. Knead lightly so the mixture adheres. You may chill it at this point while making the filling.
- TO MAKE FILLING:
- Be sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Beat whole eggs with egg yolks well. Beat at low speed. (Do not over beat.) Add sugar, the milk, half and half. Let mixture rest for 10-15 minutes Skim off all the foam from mixture.
- Separate dough into 24 balls. Press each into a 2 1/2 inch (measured across top) tart shell to an even layer across the bottom and all the way up the side. Fill tart shell with filling almost to the top.
- Preheat oven at 300 degrees. Place tarts on cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Loosen slightly by inserting a toothpick along the sides. The tart shell will unmold easily.
Custards can be made no more than 1/2 day ahead. It is important that the ingredients for the filling be at room temperature and beaten over a warm bowl of water. Cold ingredients will cause filling to separate during baking.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved