Curry Channa and Aloo (Potato)
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Side Dish
Cuisine: East Indian
Serves: 4 - 6
- ½ lb. dried channa or 1 tin of channa (garbanzo bean)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 pimento peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp geera
- ½ tsp masala
- ½ tsp. salt or salt to taste
- 3-4 leaves chadon beni, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- If dried channa is used, pressure cook the channa in salted water (1 tsp salt) until tender. Drain and set aside the channa and the channa water. (Note: it is also recommended to soak the channa in water first. Strain and the pressure cook the beans).
- Wash, peel and chop the potatoes. Heat oil and add onion and garlic. Add the curry and cook until almost dry. Add potato and green seasoning. Stir until coated with curry.
- Add channa and mix. Then add the pimento and chadon beni. Add the "channa" water (about 2 cups).
- Cook until potatoes are tender and mixture is thick. Season with salt, geera, masala. Add pepper to taste.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved