- For Custard:
- 3 3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 5 small eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- For Caramel:
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 drop of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. water
- Cold water
- Boiled water approximately 10 cups.
- Note: You will need 8 ramekins and 2 large enough baking dishes for this creme caramel recipe..
- To make the custard: Beat the eggs. Bring the milk, sugar and vanilla to boil. Then remove from fire and set aside to cool. Add the milk to the eggs all at once and whip until smooth. Strain the custard into a clean bowl and set aside.
- To make the caramel: In a sauce pan, bring the sugar, lemon juice, and water to boil. Notice the sugar taking on the brown colour; if it is getting brown on one side, gently tilt the pot to mix the sugar and distribute the heat evenly. Take care not to scorch.
- Once sugar has reached a light brown colour, remove it from the heat immediately and shock it in the ice bath to stop the sugar from cooking. Shock it 3 times (this will not stop the sugar from continuing to take on colour).
- Next, pour about a tablespoon of the caramel into the ramekin, spread the caramel to fill the bottom of the mold. Please note: don't allow the caramel to cook too much, it will get bitter. Also, you will not be able to spread it around in the ramekin as it may get too firm.
- Place molds in a second pan fill halfway with the hot water.
- Strain custard into a clean container to ensure a smooth product. Fill each sugar line ramekin with the custard liquid. To evenly fill the ramekin use a liquid measuring cup that has a spout.
- Bake the custard for 45 minutes in a 350 degree F oven. Cool, then chill before serving. Serve inverted on to a rimmed serving platter.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved