Crab and Callaloo
Crab and Callaloo is a popular dish here in Trinidad and Tobago. It can be served with almost anything you can eat for lunch and of course the crab just adds an extra flavour to any meal. I personally like my crab and callaloo with dumpling.
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian, Seafood
Cuisine: Creole, Caribbean
- 1 bundle dasheen leaves (approximately 12 leaves)
- 7 small ochros
- 2 tbsp. salted butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 4 pimentos, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 small crab (cleaned) or 1 large gundy (crab claw) or pigtail, chopped in 1- inch pieces (optional)
- 1 green hot pepper (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 chives
- 1 bouillon cube (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak and cut up the meat. Scald and clean the crabs. Strip the stalks from the dasheen leaves.
- Wash leaves, ochros and seasoning; chop finely. Simmer all the ingredients, except hot pepper and salt, together in the water and coconut milk.
- Stir occasionally. Cook for about 15 minutes and add hot pepper and salt for flavoring.
- Cover saucepan and allow to cook for another 15 minutes over medium heat until everything is soft. Remove hot pepper and crab and swizzle with a swizzle stick or puree in blender.
- Serve with rice.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved