Cow Heel Souse
- 2 packs cow heel about 2 lbs
- 3 limes divided
- 1 tbsp. salt to season
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 7 leaves chadon beni grated
- 2 tbsp. salt for souse
- 2 tbsp. green seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- Wash the cow heel and drain. Squeeze half a lime and add salt and green seasoning. Mix well.
- Pressure cook in 2 1/2 cups of water for 25 minutes from time it starts to steam.
- Wash three times under running water to get rid of the excess oil.
- Add about 2 cups of water for sauce and cut up the cucumber into thin slices.
- Add the sliced onion, salt, lime juice from the remaining 2 1/2 limes and hot pepper.
- Add the garlic and chadon beni and mix well.
- Let soak for 1 – 2 hours at room temperature before serving.
Due to different types of pressure cookers and their efficiency, still check the cow heel about midway into cooking for doneness. What we’re trying to achieve is a soft texture but not too soft as when you’re doing cow heel soup.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved