Cornmeal Fry Bake
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Breads
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1 tsp salt
- water (approximately ¾ – 1 cup)
- ½ cup flour (for dusting)
- Coconut oil for frying
- Use a coarse cornmeal. Here we used our local Jo-Sing yellow cornmeal but any brand will do.
- Sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt.
- Add water gradually to make a soft dough.
- Mix first with a fork. Then knead with your hands. Dust with remainder of flour while kneading.
- Leave to rest for about ½ hour.
- Make small balls and flatten with rolling pin (flatten according to your preference) and leave to rest before frying in oil.
- Note: This dough will make about 4 to 6 flat bakes. To make sure the balls are equal, first cut the dough in half. Then cut the halves equally in two or three.
- Heat the oil and fry on both sides.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved