This Cornmeal Fry Bake can be served with any vegetable such as pumpkin, ocho, or even with saltfish.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tsp baking powder aluminum free
- 1 tsp salt
- water approximately 3/4 – 1 cup
- 1/2 cup flour for dusting
- Coconut oil for frying
- Use a coarse cornmeal. Here we used our local Jo-Sing yellow cornmeal but any brand will do.
- Sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt.
- Add water gradually to make a soft dough.
- Mix first with a fork. Then knead with your hands. Dust with remainder of flour while kneading.
- Leave to rest for about 1/2 hour.
- Make small balls and flatten with rolling pin (flatten according to your preference) and leave to rest before frying in oil.
- Note: This dough will make about 4 to 6 flat bakes. To make sure the balls are equal, first cut the dough in half. Then cut the halves equally in two or three.
- Heat the oil and fry on both sides.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved