Here is another dessert that is quite popular in Trinidad and Tobago.
Recipe type: Desserts
- TURNOVER SHELL:
- 1 egg, beaten (to brush over pastry)
- 5 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 2 cups flour
- COCONUT FILLING:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- ¾ cup flaked coconut
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. liquid red food colouring
- Dissolve the sugar and salt in water in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the shortening and flour until it looks granular in appearance. Make a well in the center and pour in the liquid. Form the dough by hand-mixing, but do not knead. Next, seal the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 15 minutes.
- Combine coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar well. Mix in the red food colouring. Pour about two tablespoons full of filling into unbaked turnover shell. Fold over and seal the edges.
- Place the turnovers on a greased baking sheet, brush with egg and bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted just off center comes out clean. Serve cool.
Calories: 379 kcal Fat: 14.5 g Carbohydrates: 55 g Sugar: 21 g Sodium: 27 mg Fiber: 1.6 g Protein: 6 g
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved