I love the milkiness and soft sweetness of this coconut sweet bread.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 small coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup of each: raisins cherries, and mixed fruit
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. Angostura bitters
- 1 tsp. mixed essence
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Note: the 1 cup of coconut milk will be strained after you blend the coconut meat in 1 cup of water.
- Finely grate the coconut in a blender with 1 cup of water. Strain the coconut from the water. Set the water aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the grated coconut, sugar and egg. Cut in the butter. Mix well. Add the Angostura bitters and mixed essence.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Mix in the nutmeg and cinnamon. Blend together the coconut mixture, coconut water, and flour mixture. Blend to make a soft dough.
- Add the mixed fruit, raisins, and cherries to the dough. Mix well. Pour in greased dish and bake for 350 degrees F. for about 52 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you want to add a glaze to the sweet bread. All you have to do is, mix a little bit of water and sugar and brush onto the bread. Return the loaf to the oven and allow to bake for another 5 minutes.
Click the link to download PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved