Coconut Sugar Cake
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Snack
- 2½ cups brown sugar
- 2 cups water (for making syrup)
- 2 whole coconuts, husked and grated
- 1 cup water (for coconuts)
- 2 bay leaves, dried and crumbled
- 1 tsp. almond essence or ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- Grate the coconut in the blender with about 1 cup of water. Strain, but do not squeeze the juices out of it. Set aside the grated coconut.
- Pour the 2 cups of water in a deep heavy pot and throw in the bay leaf. Allow it to boil for about 5 minutes. Then pour the sugar into the hot water to form light syrup.
- Stir occasionally to test the thickness of the syrup. Pour in the grated coconut and almond essence. Mix well. Leave to cook. Stir occasionally until the coconut mixture comes away from the sides of the pot easily. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar to the mixture and beat with a spoon for 2 minutes. Immediately drop spoonfuls on to a fig leaf or non stick surface. Allow to harden completely. Turn over to allow the bottom to dry.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved