Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Miscellaneous
Serves: 1 cup
- 5 medium or large dry coconuts
- Remove the kernel and chop into small pieces. Blend a handful of pieces of dry coconut with about 2 cups of water until fine.
- More water may be added at times. However, you may have to repeat the sequence about three times.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve - squeezing it with your hand to express more coconut milk. Allow the liquid to rest for at least 24 hours. The cream and the water will separate.
- Skim the cream from the top and place it into a deep heavy pot. Place the pot over a medium flame and allow it to simmer.
- Slowly the oil appears at the top. The curdled cream (also called "coconut caca" by some) should be scraped to the side
- Skim the clear oil from the pot and place it in a glass bowl to cool. Allow the cream to 'fry' right down until no more oil could be expressed.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved