Coconut Macaroni Pie
- 200 g macaroni pasta
- 3 cups cheddar cheese divided
- 1/3 cup onion small diced
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbsp pimento pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp Angostura bitters
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Boil the macaroni. Strain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a deep pot.
- Saute the onion and pimento until the onions are translucent and the pimento is cooked.
- Remove the pot from the flame and mix in the flour.
- Pour in the coconut milk. Return the pot to heat and stir constantly.
- Cook until thick. Set aside.
- Add the ketchup and mustard to the macaroni then the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the coconut milk sauce and 2 cups of cheese. Mix well. Pour the mixture into a well greased baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F then bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 mins
- or until golden and the macaroni has absorbed the oil (from the cheese).
- Serve cool.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved