- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa tea use about 1/4 c. powder and 1 3/4 c. water
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- Grate the cocoa bar. Boil and strain to make about 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa “tea”. Note: About 3 tbsp should do.
- Cream together butter, shortening and sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla and cocoa tea liquid; blend well.
- Combine dry ingredients except the cocoa powder. Alternately add dry ingredients and cocoa powder to creamed mixture.
- Pour into 2 greased, floured 9-inch round layer pans or 2 8-inch square pans. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 35 to 40 minutes for 9-inch layer; or 40 to 46 minutes for 8-inch square layer or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely; frost as desired.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved