These cocoa brownies are filled with a wonderful chocolate taste. It is chewy and very moist with a bit of nut thrown in between. You will certainly enjoy it.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Servings: 18 squares
- 8 oz butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups brown sugar or 1 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup dark cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Brown butter glaze: optional
- 1 oz unsalted butter
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c carnation evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Line a 9×13 inch heavy pan with foil, then spray foil.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt butter and salt.
- Add sugar and cook for 2 min on low heat stirring to dissolve some of the sugar.
- Remove from heat and cool until lukewarm.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs.
- Add the vanilla and butter/sugar mixture.
- Beat until smooth. On lowest speed, blend in sour cream.
- Prepare the flour, cocoa and baking powder together then sift.
- Mix until just combined scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add some toasted walnuts into the mixture and reserve some for topping.
- Pour batter into prepared pan or dish and sprinkle nuts evenly.
- Bake in 300 degree F oven for 30-35 minutes. Cool pan on a rack.
- Then cut into even squares. Store in an airtight container.
- Note: Brownie should be risen and lightly cracked. If you’re glazing, glaze the brownies before you cut into even squares.
- *Here are the instructions for the brown butter glaze:*
- In small saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Immediately add sugar and milk and cook on low heat, stirring until thickened.
- Allow to cool slightly to thicken up, then pour evenly over brownies and allow to set until firm before cutting into squares.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved