There is always a cake on the table during the Christmas season, especially a fruit cake. This Christmas Fruit Cake is for everyone to enjoy, including children.
Christmas Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 1 9″ round cake
- 1/2 lb raisins
- 1/2 lb maraschino cherries halved
- 1/2 lb preserved pineapple or candied pineapple
- 1/2 lb mixed fruit
- 1/2 lb almond chopped
- 1/2 lb (2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 tsp. almond or vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup rum or red wine
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix together the fruits and nuts in a deep bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, sift the flour; then add the salt, baking powder, and spices. Mix well.
- Remove 1 cup of the flour mixture and add to the fruit mixture. Mix the flour with fruits. Set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter. Add one egg at a time, and continue creaming.
- Blend in the molasses and essence. Blend in the flour, then the fruits (mix with the spatula).
- Grease the cake pan. Pour cake mixture into the cake pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Brush the wine or rum on the cake immediately as it is taken out of the oven. Cool before serving.
Click the link to download PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved