There is always a cake on the table during the Christmas season, especially a fruit cake. This Christmas Fruit Cake is for everyone to enjoy, including children.
Servings: 1 9" round cake
- 1/2 lb raisins
- 1/2 lb maraschino cherries halved
- 1/2 lb preserved pineapple or candied pineapple
- 1/2 lb mixed fruit
- 1/2 lb almond chopped
- 1/2 lb (2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 tsp. almond or vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup rum or red wine
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix together the fruits and nuts in a deep bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, sift the flour; then add the salt, baking powder, and spices. Mix well.
- Remove 1 cup of the flour mixture and add to the fruit mixture. Mix the flour with fruits. Set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter. Add one egg at a time, and continue creaming.
- Blend in the molasses and essence. Blend in the flour, then the fruits (mix with the spatula).
- Grease the cake pan. Pour cake mixture into the cake pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Brush the wine or rum on the cake immediately as it is taken out of the oven. Cool before serving.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved