There is always a cake on the table during the Christmas season, especially a fruit cake. This Christmas Fruit Cake is for everyone to enjoy, including children.
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: 1 9" round cake
- ½ lb raisins
- ½ lb maraschino cherries, halved
- ½ lb preserved pineapple (or candied pineapple)
- ½ lb mixed fruit
- ½ lb almond, chopped
- ½ lb( (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- 4 tsp. almond or vanilla essence
- ½ cup rum or red wine
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix together the fruits and nuts in a deep bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, sift the flour; then add the salt, baking powder, and spices. Mix well.
- Remove 1 cup of the flour mixture and add to the fruit mixture. Mix the flour with fruits. Set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter. Add one egg at a time, and continue creaming.
- Blend in the molasses and essence. Blend in the flour, then the fruits (mix with the spatula).
- Grease the cake pan. Pour cake mixture into the cake pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Brush the wine or rum on the cake immediately as it is taken out of the oven. Cool before serving.
Calories: 266 kcal Fat: 9 g Carbohydrates: 43 g Sugar: 22 g Sodium: 95 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 4 g
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved