Chow chow is a favourite for a Christmas Morning ham and hops. How about making your own chow chow?
Recipe type: Condiment
Serves: Approx. 7 cups
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup bodi, chopped
- 2 large sweet peppers (red and green), chopped
- 8 pimento peppers (red and green), chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 18 cloves
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 2½ cups vinegar
- 2½ tbsp mustard
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ tbsp grated ginger
- Sterilize the bottles before use.
- Finely chop all the vegetables. Then soak the vegetables overnight in the brine, made of salt and water. Then strain and set aside.
- The following day, place the cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and turmeric in a deep stainless steel pot. Add the vinegar, boil together for 10 minutes.
- Strain into another stainless steel pot and add the chopped ingredients.
- Cook until the mixture is thick. Remove and place hot in the sterilized bottles.
Calories: 10.9 kcal Fat: 0.06 g Carbohydrates: 2.4 g Sodium: 22.4 mg Protein: 0.4 g
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved