Chinese Style Fried Chicken
An easy homemade chinese style chicken that you can make for your friends and family.
Recipe type: Meats
- 1 chicken (about 2½ lb)
- Oil for deep frying ( about 900 ml )
- 1 tbsp Complete Chinese seasoning powder
- ½ tbsp five spice powder
- For Sauce
- 3 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 4 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sprigs chive, chopped finely (for garnish)
- Clean chicken, removing excess fat, wash with lime and cut into quarters. Season with 1 tbsp of Chinese Seasoning. Rub the season all over the chicken and leave to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil. While the oil is heating up, sprinkle ½ tbsp of 5 spice powder and rub it in the chicken. Fry until golden and well cooked. Then drain. Note: I cooked my chicken over a low fire for about 25 minutes, and it was cooked right down to the bone.
- Make the sauce. Mix the water, oyster sauce, ketchup and cornstarch. (A variation is to substitute the oyster sauce for garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, plum sauce, black bean sauce or any other sauce of your choice.)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the wok. Saute the ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Then add the mixture and let cook for about 2 minutes over a low fire.
- Chop the chicken into desired pieces arrange on a bed of lettuce then place chicken. Pour some of the sauce over chicken and garnish with chopped chive.
For a really authentic Chinese restaurant taste make sure to use Sincere's Complete Chinese Seasoning (with or without msg)
Calories: 281.8 kcal Fat: 8.8 g Saturated fat: 2.2 g Carbohydrates: 2.2 g Protein: 47 g Cholesterol: 130 mg
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved