Recipe type: Breads
Cuisine: East Indian
- ½ lb (approx. 2 cups) channa
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2½ tsp. salt (can be adjusted to decrease sodium levels)
- 1¾ cup water
- 3 pimento peppers (2 green and 1 red)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 leaves chadon beni
- 1 tbsp. geera powder
- ½ tsp. grated ginger
- Soak channa overnight. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and water to form a soft dough. Rub a little oil over the dough. Let rest for 30 minutes. Drain the channa and blend in a food processor. Set aside. Blend the seasoning. Combine the seasoning and channa in the processor. Add the salt and geera powder. Set aside.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean surface and make nine loyas. Open the loya and sprinkle flour. Add about 2½ tablespoon of the channa mixture and seal the ball. Leave to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Roll out the filled dough very thinly. Heat tawah on medium heat. Grease the tawah and place the rolled out roti.
- Grease the top, cook on one side, turn over, and cook on the other side. When the channa puri is cooked and swells, fold and place in a bowl to cool.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved.