Cassava Au Gratin is a favourite in our household. It can be serve with vegetables and can be quite satisfying.
- 2 1/3 lbs. cassava
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups cheese mix: 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese and 1 cup parmesan
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 sprig celery finely chopped
- 12 tbsp. chopped chive
- 1 small sweet pepper finely chopped
- 1 pimento pepper finely chopped
- Peel and wash the cassava. Boil the cassava. (Do not over cook it). Dice and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion, celery, chive, and peppers.
- Measure the amount of milk you need and have it ready.
- In a deep small pan, melt the butter. Then add the chopped onions. Cook until the onions are soft. Mix in the flour.
- Then add the milk, 1/3 at a time. Stir occasionally.
- Allow the milk to thicken for about 3 minutes.
- In the mean time add the chopped celery, chive, sweet pepper, and pimento pepper to the diced cassava.
- Back to making the sauce …..add the garlic powder, paprika, and parsley.
- Mix well. Then add 2 cups of grated cheese.
- Stir and remove from heat immediately. Pour over the cassava and mix well.
- Pour into a deep greased casserole dish (8x11x2.5 inches). Garnish with some parsley, paprika and the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for about 45 minutes in a 250 degree F oven. Remove and cool before serving.
The cassava is done when a knife can go through it easily.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved