Cassava and Saltfish Pie
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Seafood, Vegetarian, Side Dish
- 2 lbs. cassava
- 1 medium onion, divided (1/2 sliced and ½ chopped finely)
- 4 red tomatoes, diced
- 2 seasoning peppers, finely chopped
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped and divided
- 1 lb salt fish, boiled and flaked
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp celery (leaves only), finely chopped
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp all purpose white flour
- 2½ cups reduced fat milk, 2%
- Wash, peel and boil cassava. Remove centre "string" and dice. Crush and season the cassava using paprika, white pepper and parsley.
- For white sauce: In a small pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir. Then add the milk and continue to stir until the sauce gets to a thick consistency.
- Pour the white sauce and add the finely chopped onion, ½ of the chopped sweet pepper, and 2 cups cheese. Mix evenly.
- Boil and flake the saltfish.
- Saute the onion and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil for 1 minute. Then add the diced tomatoes and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chopped celery, seasoning pepper, and sweet pepper. Add the saltfish and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. NOTE: You may need to add a little water while the saltfish cooks, about ¼ cup.
- Time to assemble. Place about half the cassava mixture in a greased dish (13 x 8 x 2 inches) and spread evenly with the back of a fork. Then add the layer of saltfish. top off with the remaining cassava.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan on the top completely. NOTE: You can substitute with any cheese
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cool.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved